The Drive 50 USA LM GPS is occupying the top spot in Amazon bestseller list in vehicle GPS units and equipment for quite some time now. The overall build quality coupled with the decent price tag has a lot to do with it.
The fact that Garmin enjoys a lot of trust among navigation enthusiasts is another plus point. If solid and dependable navigation is your primary concern, you won’t be disappointed with the package.
Important features of the product
- Product Dimensions- 5.5 x 0.8 x 3.3 inches
- Weight- 6.1 ounces
- Screen size- 5.0 inches
- Battery: Rechargeable lithium-ion
- Battery Life- up to 1 hour
- Display resolution: 480 x 272 pixels
- Preloaded street maps
- Lifetime map updates
- Lane assist with junction view
- Speed limit indicator
- Trip planner
- Trip log
- Built-in dash camera
- Forward collision warning
- Driver alerts
- Garmin Real Directions™ landmark guidance
- Foursquare POIs
- Compatible with Windows® XP or newer and Mac® OS X 10.4 or later
Choosing a GPS navigator nowadays is quite a struggle. With competitive pricing and similar features, it really is difficult to understand which one would fit in your needs. In such a confusing situation, the best you can do is understand your core requirements. In most of the cases ease of driving is the biggest concern. Owing to this reason, Garmin Drive 50 USA LM GPS enjoys great popularity.
The unit comes with a decent price tag and yet offers features that you commonly associate with high end devices. The design is ergonomic and one can feel the ease of use. Whether you commute daily to the same place or are experimenting with new routes, the system functions equally well in both the cases.
In the Box:
There is a vehicle power cable to charge the device and USB cable for updates along with a vehicle suction cup mount to place the device on the dashboard.
Design and Compatibility:
The design is sleek with a relatively small screen. It also comes with an in build dash cam that records the drive on every occasion and saves the video on impact. The premium 5.0-inch screen capacitive touch GPS navigator comes with an attractive metal body. There is also a magnetic mount that makes it easy to place the device.
- Driver Alerts: It notifies you of all the upcoming sharp curves, and railroad crossings, animal crossings and more. It also provides information about speed changes, nearby school zones, speed cameras and red lights.
Additionally, the fatigue awareness feature is much appreciated because it helps to avoid strenuous drives. The unit will give you a fatigue warning suggesting a break after driving continuously for hours. It also notifies you when you are driving on the wrong way of a one-way road.
- Garmin Real Directions: Drive 50 USA LM GPS provides easy to understand driving directions. You get spoken turn by turn directions. The directions use popular landmarks as reference and not just random street names that you might be hearing for the first time.
- Direct Access: The direct access feature lets you drive to the exact destination in larger areas like airports or shopping malls with more than one area of entry or parking places. It also helps you drive your vehicle to the entrance of a building with multiple parking slots.
- Lifetime Maps: It has in built maps of North America and Canada. The maps are updates on a regular basis.
- Easier to Search: With more than a million Points Of Interests (POIs) one can assume that necessary destinations and points are taken into account.
- Garmin babyCam™: BC™ 30 wireless backup camera, is sold and to be installed separately. Once paired, it will let you view vehicles, pedestrians and other object on the screen as you move in reverse.
- Lane assist with junction view: This feature is very useful for drivers who hit the highway quite often. With proper lane assist and junction view, it becomes really easy to merge or stay on the right lane assisting in safe exits every time.
- Offline navigation: This is one of the most appreciated features and also a reason why people often prefer this Garmin GPS to other similar devices. Even in places where you do not get phone coverage, it will help you stay in the right route.
It is very easy to update and also to set up the Garmin Drive 50 USA LM GPS Navigator System. Loaded with useful navigation and safety features, it perfectly fits into the shoes of an ideal GPS navigator. Driving through unfamiliar places also becomes easier with the large lane guidance.
The split screen ensure that you don’t have to navigate away from the live map every time you want to spot a restaurant, gas station or rest area that is displayed beside the live map. Even the speakers are quite loud to enable easy hearing with windows rolled down. You might not like the fact that the device needs to be plugged in all the time, but then no GPS navigator can go long without being charged.
In case you want a quick overview of the product you can check out the video below:
This is clearly a good option in the entry level satnav segment. The directions are now much clearer and there are added safety features. However, there is stiff competition from TomTom because of the traffic feature factor.
TomTom VIA 1525SE is a good rival because the overall economics in getting traffic information makes the Garmin product costlier. Barring this you can surely trust the in-built features of Drive 50 and drive advantage from one of the best customer support team in the car GPS industry.
Make some online comparisons and find out your core requirement. It is one of the best ways of selecting a good vehicle GPS unit. The best part is that several quality options are available in the same price range.